Seniors: How to get started with exercise
June 8th, 2016 | 0 Comments
When you exercise, it is important to do it safely. Follow these tips to avoid injury.
- When starting an exercise program, begin slowly with low-intensity exercises.
- Wait at least 2 hours after eating a large meal before doing strenuous exercise.
- Wear appropriate shoes for your activity and comfortable, loose-fitting clothing that allows you to move freely but won't catch on other objects.
- Warm up with low-intensity exercises at the beginning of each exercise session.
- Drink water before, during, and after your exercise session.
- When exercising outdoors, pay attention to your surroundings -- consider possible traffic hazards, the weather, uneven walking surfaces, and strangers.
This information is at NIHSeniorHealth. Find out what to discuss with your doctor, what exercises are right for you, what equipment you should have and so much more!